When it comes to choose between acupuncture and chiropractic treatment to relieve pain in any of your body parts then it becomes necessary to know the pros and cons of both of these therapies.
Introduction with chiropractic treatment
Chiropractors provide chiropractic treatments after completing specialized courses in an accredited institution and hands-on experience of a minimum of 4,200 hours on clinical work. In chiropractic treatment, a chiropractor uses his hands to examine, diagnose, and treat the painful parts of your body. Most commonly they provide physical therapy by manipulating the spinal cord. They apply force on the ailing joint and muscles in a controlled manner to restore their mobility.
Pros of chiropractic treatment
- Chiropractic treatments are mainly recognized as a feasible treatment for patients suffering from pain in the joints, neck, or back, as well as headaches and problems in the neuromusculoskeletal system.
- This treatment is free from any drug and non-invasive
- They are extremely effective in treating many types of ailments.
- They help patients in recovering faster from injury than more medical treatment traditionally used
Cons of chiropractic treatment
Though chiropractic treatment is considered safe and effective still it has a few drawbacks like:
- It can cause soreness or pain which can go away by itself after some time.
- It is not covered by several health insurance plans so you may have to bear its cost from your pocket.
- You may have to visit chiropractor several times which can increase the cost of treatment and inconvenience.
Introduction with Acupuncture
An acupuncturist has to pass the exam conducted by NCCAOM or the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine before using acupuncture for treating his patients. Acupuncture is basically a Chinese traditional way of treatment which is normally recommended as an alternative to medicinal treatment for chronic pain in the neck, back, headaches and joints, etc. In this treatment method, metallic needles are inserted into the skin to stimulate certain points on your body and manipulated by using an electrical device or by hand to relieve pain by regulating the flow of energy or ‘qi’ of the body.
Pros of Acupuncture
- If the treatment is provided by a properly trained practitioner, it is comparatively safe.
- It can treat various problems from fibromyalgia to tennis elbow and syndrome in carpal tunnel etc.
- It can improve the respiratory system and insomnia, strengthen the immune system, and create emotional balance to reduce stress.
- It can help in recovering fast from surgery, illness, and injury by reducing inflammation and increasing circulation.
Cons of Acupuncture
- It hurts and causes discomfort due to inserting needles at various spots into the skin
- There is a risk of infection if the needles are not sterilized properly before use
- It can be dangerous if the professional is not properly trained and experienced
- It is not covered by most of the health insurance plans
- Repeated visits to an acupuncturist can increase your inconvenience and the cost of treatment
Which one do you need?
When you have to choose between chiropractic treatment and acupuncture you should compare their pros and cons and find the one with which you feel more comfortable. You can consult your regular health care provider to make the right decision in this regard.
Elledge Chiropractic & Acupuncture Also Offers Following Services :
Elledge Chiropractic & Acupuncture Address: 5715 N Western Ave #B, Oklahoma City, OK Phone: (405) 858-2225